Sights near us
(within 15 minutes driving North West)
● Hiking, cycling and swimming in Punkaharju ridge – situated between crystal clear lakes Puruvesi and Pihlajavesi, the ridge is one of best known finnish national sceneries. Tourists are welcome to explore it on countless marked routes and trails that crisscross the ridge, between pine trees and charming little lakes, one of them follows a part of Salpa Line. There are also routes for nordic walking and charming little beaches for swimming.
● Scenic cruises at Lake Saimaa on the board of steam boat in Punkaharju area and between Punkaharju and Savonlinna
● Canoeing, Boating, Fishing -Kayaks and canoes can be hired from the Harjun Portti tourist centre which also offer assistance for novices, and also for several accommodation companies in the area.
● Horse Riding – available in Mannila all year around,everybody can ride – both amateurs and experienced riders.
● Harjun Portti – renting kayks, rowing boats, boats with small engine and motor boats,
● Water and amusement park Kesämaa
● Lusto – The Finnish Forest Museum
● Art Galleries – Johanna Oras Art Manor and THE WORLD-FAMOUS CAVE (LUOLA) COMPLEX IN PUNKAHARJU
(Within 40 minutes driving North West)
The Capital city of Savo region, with around 35 000 people, situated in the lap of lake Saimaa features:
- Shopping, restaurants, daily market.
- The Olavinlinna Castle – The landmark of the city and the hole region, built in 15 century, uses as a major stage of the annual international opera festival which takes part in Savonlinna every summer.
- Old historical Savonlinna with its wooden houses and old avenues.
- Daily scenery cruises to Lake Saimaa.
(within half an hour driving South)
- Parikkala sculpture park (Patsaspuisto) – 550 concrete statues in a magnificent garden, built by Veijo Rönkkönen. One of the most bizarre and misterious places in Finland, not to be missed!
- Siikalahti – a significant bird wetland and the best lake in Finland for bird watching. It is a popular hiking area for birders, nature photographers and families with children.
( Within 45 min driving north east)
Kitee Zoo, located in Kitee, Finland is the fourth biggest zoo in the country. It was opened in 1996 and has over 50 animal species. There are Finnish animals, such as bearsand lynxes, as well as more exotic animals. It has the only yaks in Finland
Visulahti in Mikkeli
(within 2 hours driving south west)
Big amusement park and aquapark in Mikkeli. Dinosauria is a thrilling adventure for explorers of all ages. The heated swimming pool complete with water slides is a source of delight for everyone, while the Dino Fossil will keep budding archaeologists busy for hours.
Mechanical Music Museum in Varkaus
(within 1 hour 45 min driving North)
The collection of instruments is unbelievable; music boxes, automatic pianos and orchestras, violins and accordions and hurdy gurdys from small table models to an enormous Amadeus. The grandest of all is the world’s largest orchestra, a 75-man Popper Goliath.
The Kerimäki Church in Kerimäki
(within within 40 minutes driving North )
The biggest wooden church in the world. Designed by Anders Fredrik Granstedt and built between 1844 and 1847, the church has a length of 45 metres (148 ft), a width of 42 m (138 ft), a height of 37 m (121 ft) and a seating capacity of more than 3,000. Altogether, there can be 5,000 people at a time in the church.
Lekotti air trail adventure – rope park, rent of canoe and boats
(within 1 hour driving North )
Lekotti Air Trail Adventure gives a wide variety of activities with high and low element challenges, zip lines and simulated free-fall adventures.
National Park Linnansaari
(within 1.5 hour driving North )
Linnansaari National Park consists of hundreds of islands and big open lakes. It is a wonderful area for day trips, camping and boating. In Linnansaari you might even get to see the endangered Saimaa ringed seals. Many nature paths and hiking routes await you. From a sightseeing point you can admire the astounding scenery of Lake Saimaa.
(rent of kayaks and boats, waterbus to Linnansaari)
The idyllic village Oravi is located in between the National Parks Linnansaari and Kolovesi. Oravi is offering variety of guided nature activities and the largest canoeing center in Saimaa.
National Park Kolovesi
(within 1.5 hour driving North East)
Kolovesi National Park, which spans over three counties (Enonkoski, Heinävesi,Savonlinna) is ideal for canoeing and kayaking. There is a nature trail and a hiking trail which lets you get to know the area and the surrounding nature.
Imatrankoski rapids in Imatra
(within one hour driving South)
Situated in Kruununpuisto Park, the oldest nature park in Finland, Imatrankoski rapids were formed 5000 year ago, when land rose after the Ice Age and Lake Saimaa waters tore the Salpauselkä ridge apart. Imatrankoski was a famous tourist attraction already 300 hundred years ago, and in the end of 1800 century it was considered as a one of the Europe’s most know attractions.
Hiking trails in Etelä-Karjala
(within 45 min driving South)
Hiitolanjoki scenic trail and Haukkavuori nature trail in Rautjarvi
(within 20 min driving South)
Siikalahti – a significant bird wetland and the best lake in Finland for bird watching. It is a popular hiking area for birders, nature photographers and families with children.
Megazone Laser tag Savonlinna
(within40 minutes driving North West)
Megazone Laser tag Savonlinna – Laser tag is played in a dimly lit, fog-filled, multi-level arena where players are provided with high tech vests and awesome but harmless laser guns.